Rue Saint Paul is a sustainable collective, marketplace, and concept closet connecting sustainably and ethically conscious designers with our communities. Guided by our sustainable values from our home in Brooklyn, New York, our mission is to help reduce the fashion industry’s environmental footprint, promote ethical manufacturing, and drive responsible and circular consumption. We are Brooklyn's only destination that offers new, rental, and pre-owned sustainable fashion. Our hope is that one day sustainable fashion will just be fashion.
We focus on brands that meet one or more of our 10 Sustainable Values. Our values are derived from the Higg Index and the Sustainable Development Goals set by the United Nations. The Higg Index, developed by the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, is the industry’s assessment tool for environmental and social impact through the value chain. Reach more about each sustainable value here.
We believe that fashion should be circular and accessible. That's why we offer most pieces in our collection to be purchased or rented. Rentals are available through our Brooklyn shop at 313 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231. We will also begin taking customer trade-ins and offering pre-owned pieces through our Brooklyn shop starting spring of 2020.
- Sustainable packaging: Our online orders are shipped in compostable mailers or recycled cardboard. We use plant based, biodegradable mailers with no toxic residues or micro plastics from The Better Packaging Co. Our in-store orders are taken home in 100% natural burlaps bags or recycled totes we receive from our vendors, customers, or through donations. We use 100% recycled and biodegradable tissue paper to protect our products whether they are shipped or brought home from our shop.
- Marketing materials: Whether stickers or cards, we print on recycled or FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) accredited paper stocks. Our Noissue stickers are FSC certified, acid free, and printed with soy based inks.
- Recycling: We recycle cardboard, metal and hard plastics, and responsibly reuse packaging sent to us.
- Eco-friendly dry cleaning: We partner with a small eco-friendly dry cleaner in our Cobble Hill, Brooklyn neighborhood to get our rental and pro-owned garments back to new. Eco-friendly solvents and detergents are used.
- Community: Our community is the reason we exist and what keeps us going. While still a young business, we have made financial and in-kind donations to schools and community organizations that align with our values. We recently donated to Direct Relief in its efforts to combat COVID-19.